Saturday, May 5, 2012

Back to the 'Base'ics

Sorry for the delays.  It was a very busy season for us at the mountain, requiring a lot of finish work to get everything done before the closing and vacation.  Ended up being the busiest year ever for F&B, even with less than stellar snow this winter.

Oh, and the less than stellar snow?  Well that's the other reason I haven't been writing...I've actually been riding.  As you saw on my last post, we were able to start riding the roads up here March 5th and were able to keep riding pretty much all spring.  Now, that doesn't mean its all tulips and hummingbirds.  It means the roads aren't frozen, and that's about it.  You still look like the Michelin Man due to the absurd amount of clothes you are wearing; it still snows on you while your riding; and 50F is a nice warm ride.

Despite all the un-comforts, I still managed to get 18+ hours of training in March and 27+hours of training in April.  All for the most part base miles and lower LT type work, but riding none the less.  My approach this year is a bit more patient than last year, and I will be posting my Training Blocks with these posts.  Everything has been going to plan so far, minus a few missed days with a cold in the beginning of April.

Two things giving me a lot of motivation lately are Strava and the Fitzy Group Rides.  We got our first group ride going on March 11th and things have been rolling from there.  The group rides have been great way to get to know the rest of the team as we have a lot of new faces this year (me included).

And then there was Strava...  This little gadget is awesome.  And even better, its free.  All you have to do is go to the website, have a smart phone or Garmin device, and your off and running.  Now, I've never been a real nerd when it came to bike stuff.  To me, if the wheels were round, I couldn't break it, and I could go reasonable fast; I would ride it.  Strava however, has me totally geeking out over my data.  It lets me look at what I've done and get a look at everyone else as well.  Kinda cool.  If you don't have it, check it out.  So that's enough for today.  I will be getting my Anniston Race Report out next.

No comments:

Post a Comment