Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And then there were intervals...

I have a few minutes, so I'm going to try and get an update in.  Two weeks ago i completed my base training (6 weeks) and trimmed myself down from 255lbs. to a now stout 240 even.  Not too bad, but still a long way to go.  Last week was a rest week where I should have kept up with my training volume, just cut back on any intensity. Well, even the best laid plans don't always come through.  I only got one ride in all week, but considering I opened my fine dining restaurant, took on another business opportunity, began work with a local charity, and had the best fathers day ever with the family...it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

So this week, I have begun my next 8 week cycle.  I will not have another rest week until Aug. 15th-21st.  Gonna be a long two months, but this cycle will be very important for a number of reasons.

1. Invervals.
I haven't done anything even remotely like intervals in 15 years, and even then, I didn't really embrace them as I should.  I will  be doing most of these on flat(ish) roads to work primarily on speed and my lactate threshold.

2.Racing.
I will have my first race in 3 weeks at the Jackson Hole Downtown Criterium on July 10th.  This race should be good with its figure 8 course, flat profile, and good roads.  The high bottom bracket of the cross bike will be suited well, now I just need to get the legs up to speed in order to stay in the group.  This didn't go so well at the last group ride, so everyone cross your fingers.  The end of the eight weeks will culminate with the Idaho State Criterium Championships in Boise which I have set as my first real goal of the year.

3.Investment.
These 8 weeks will be a huge investment for the cyclocross season which will start September 24th.  These weeks I need to see the rest of the weight come off and the leg speed increase.  If all goes well, I will take a four week break from structured training before resuming the really hard part of the year in tune up for the Cross season.  No matter how you cut it, you gotta make regular deposits to the Pain Bank!

4. Motivation
If I can keep it together for the next two months, I should have more than enough investment to see me through the real meat of the season...Cyclocross!!!!!  It also really helps to hear about my best bud Sobe slaying all last weekend in a few races on the east coast.  To hear of Brian winning a field sprint in a criterium, is something a kin to Mark Cavendish winning atop the Tourmelet.  At least to my ears anyway.
Big Congrats Brother!   

That's about all I have for now, I'll get another update out there next week.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Keep it up. Shedding 15 lbs is awesome. Cavendish winning Tourmalet, classic! I think all those box jumps I did in the off season for crossfit gave me a couple more fast twitch fibers. I was surprised to win a field sprint but I had a great lead out and the family was there for additional motivation.

    You will be winning races soon. Patience though, this is a marathon.

    ReplyDelete