Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mmmmm...I make a mean Humble Pie.

Humility is a good thing.  And being a humble person in this day and age is not the most vogue thing, unfortunately.  Now I haven't always been the most humble person (complete understatement).  When I was racing full-time, I may have once or twice said something that could have been misunderstood as being conceded.  And in my current career, I'm sure it could be confused that I'm a little more than confident at times about my abilities.  I blame it on my inability to communicate well (my wife may have said that once or twice).

However, I recently have been learning some serious lessons about humility, and unfortunately I feel the need to share them with all of you.  Now, thankfully, no one reads my blog really anyway.

Otherwise I wouldn't tell you about the humility of being dropped in a Cat. 4 criterium not once, but twice.

I wouldn't really bother to bring up the fact that even though I've lost over 20 lbs in the past 10 weeks, I still look like 10lbs of potatoes stuffed in a 5lb sack in my race kit.

And I surly wouldn't bring up the fact that I drove an hour each way to Idaho Falls for the Alan Butler Memorial Criterium to get dropped after a mere 13 minutes of racing...that's right folks, I made it a whopping 13 mins in my first race on the road in 15 years.

I'm sure I would also neglect to bring up the fact that I was lapped not once...not twice...not three times...not four times...but yes, five times at the Jackson Hole Downtown Criterium.

So what does all this mean?

It means I'm giving everyone fair notice.

As soon as I'm done eating steaming bowl after steaming bowl of humble pie, I'm going to be able to open an icy cold can of Whoop Ass...take that first sip...and say "Ahhh".

I know this is going to be a long road.  It might be this fall,might be next year, but at some point, I will be on the serving end of the humble pie gravy train.

Not a question of if...just a question of when.

How's that for humility?

1 comment:

  1. I read your posts!

    I definitely like the tail end of this post. Gave me the chills of seeing you open up some whoop ass on some folks!

    The road is long, it has certainly taken me a while to get back to where I am now.

    Patience, I was saying just months ago that I couldn't wait to be the one dishing out the pain.

    ReplyDelete