Tuesday, October 25, 2011

'A Hot Mess!'

A "hot mess" is a term used in the Couloir kitchen to describe someone who, despite their best efforts, keeps screwing something up.  This does not mean you are a "clusterf*#k".  That would imply a permenant condition.  Being a "hot mess" is usually a temporary issue, but can lead to being a "clusterf*#k".

This would best describe my current state.  Toward the end of my vacation, I came down with a cold brought home by either my mother (sorry mom), or my daughter Zoe (probably more likely).  Despite my best attempts to alieve the situation, and a rest week from hard riding, I was unable to shake it before Spooky Cross.  We had a great turnout for Spooky, lots of riders and a great stoke in the air, but I was in it deep.  I had gone for a quick ride on Friday night to sort things out, and quickly found out I couldn't breath without coughing up the lung butter.  This should have been the tell tale sign to sleep in and just spectate Saturday's race.  But after running into Fitzy and J.P. doing recon on J.P.'s new rig, I thought; "Stop being such a wanker!"

So come Saturday morning I lined up with 25 or so other cats looking for the hole shot.  After the first lap, I was slowly getting the message things weren't going to go in my favor.  After holding on to the tale end of the second group, I started losing ground to them when I had to sit up and cough it out.  After dropping back to the last guy and realizing I could ride with him pretty easily, I thought maybe I'll just cruise around with this guy for a few laps.

Wasn't going to happen.  Again, a severe coughing attack caused me to sit up...this time for good.  I figured this wasn't the best thing I could be doing for myself, so I pulled into the Start/Finish and put some warm clothes on.  I really hated quiting a race put on by my shop, and in front of the whole team, but figured descretion was the better part of valor.

So come Sunday, and getting alittle antsy cause I hadn't really ridden all week except for Friday's re-con and Saturday's warm-up and 15min of racing, I thought maybe I could go out for an easy spin in the evening.

And back to the locker you go...

I woke up on Monday feeling worse than I did Friday, setting myself up for an interesting problem.  I haven't really done much training in a week, I have a race in Rexburg this Saturday, and I'm not completely on top of my health.  Hence the fact I'm a Hot Mess.  What to do?  Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions, please comment.  I would love to hear.  I'm skipped today's ride, but figure I might try to ride a bit tomorrow, take a day off, and do openers on Friday and hope for the best.

Anybody got a Z-pack...hook a brother up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment