Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Moosecross and a drawing board.

Qualitative vs. Quantatative.
These are two ways one can judge performance.  Quantatative would be the numbers, the formal date collected to show progress and ultimately, success.  Qualitative is a bit more vague.  Its more about how things got done, not nessesarily just the outcome.  As much as I like the latter, the former can't be overlooked.

So, in regards to Moosecross, we are going to look at both sides of this coin.

Qualitative:
  1. Moosecross was absolutely awesome!  The course, the weather, the stoke, the venue...the cannon(had a real cannon to start every race, almost pissed myself at the start)!!!  Everything was totally first class and everybody involved had a fantastic time.
  2. The racing was great!  Big fields, good riders, and a very tacky, technical course made for a lot of fun to be had.  Saturday's race was the better of the two for me.  Despite having some pedal troubles that kept me from clicking in properly after most dismounts, I rode a pretty steady and smooth race.  I was actually impressing myself on the tech side, catching and passing a few guys in the final two laps really only due to my cornering ablility and familiarity with the course
  3. I prepared well for the weekend.  I put together two solid weeks of training after Kross Kickoff, stayed healthy and maintained my diet.  Despite the fact my mom flew in Thursday night, I built a birthday cake for Zoe's birthday party on Saturday night, mowed the lawn Sunday morning and got ready for my wife and I's anniversary "staycation", I still managed to get everything together, stay on top of my hydration, and even get a little rest between races.
  4. My mom, wife and youngest daugher were all on hand to watch their son, husband, and father do something he loves to do.
  5. My youngest daughter Zoe raced in her first race...at the tender age of 3.  What a stud!
Now the Quantitative:
  1. Despite getting to the first corner in 4th position both days, I ended up finishing 31st in the Mens Cat. 4 race on Saturday.
  2. I put up a DNF in Sundays race after breaking my chain with 2 laps to go.  Wasn't too much of a loss as I was riding in last place, trying to keep a junior rider at bay (he eventually caught and passed me after I had to stop and fight with my pedal again).
  3. I started the weekend at a robust 227lbs, by far the largest guy in the race.
So in summery...

I had a great weekend.  My mom was here. I started my vacation from work.  Celebrated Zoe's birthday with family and friends and got to watch her in her first race.  Was able to race 'cross in my hometown with all the great people that promote and enjoy this sport.  Then got to spend two days with my wife at the Four Seasons, soaking away in the hot tubs, wondering where to go for dinner.

I also realized I still have a long way to go.  I have little in the way of power...or strength...or speed.  I look back at all the work I've done thus far and get a bit discouraged to be honest, wondering if I will ever get back any of the fitness I once had.  I wonder if I should have been more realistic, should have worried less about a "program" and more about just riding hard.



So I'm getting "back to the basics" a little bit.  I'm gonna keep riding hard, racing smooth, and having fun. 

And hope at some point, the quantatative matches the qualitative. 




No comments:

Post a Comment